11 Questions to ask your Criminal Defense Attorney
Hiring a criminal defense attorney may be one of the most important things you do if you are under investigation or charged with criminal conduct. There are a number of crucial questions you should ask any criminal defense attorney prior to hiring them. A defense strategy must be tailored to the specific facts, client and circumstances at hand. Therefore, communication between attorney and client must be first-rate and address not only the client’s inquiries, but also general procedures and court process. A process that is frequently fraught with confusion and uncertainty unless adequately explained to the client beforehand.
Prior to hiring a criminal defense attorney in Los Angeles, the following is a list of some of the most basic questions to be discussed.
Key Questions to ask your Criminal Defense Attorney Prior to Hiring:
- Experience in criminal defense practice;
- Will one attorney be devoted to your case, or various associates;
- Familiarity with the underlying type of criminal charge;
- Experience in the courthouse assigned to your case;
- Knowledge of the district attorneys and/or prosecutors assigned to the case;
- General strategy and/or approach to such criminal cases;
- Communication policy with the client: who will handle communication with the client? Attorneys or non-attorneys and paralegals?;
- Fees and Costs involved – Flat fee or on an hourly basis. What costs above and beyond attorney fees?
- Anticipated case duration;
- Potential consequences and punishment for the charges;
- What are the benefits and drawback of Trial vs. Plea Bargaining;