Blake Griffin’s attorney told a judge he has completed his investigation into a man’s claim that the basketball star assaulted him inside a Las Vegas Strip nightclub.
Assault and Battery Case
The Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Pro Tem William Jansen has set January 12 as a status check for the misdemeanor battery case. That status check will be the next step for determining if Griffin, 25, will have to go to trial for the assault charge.
Griffin’s attorney, Richard Schonfeld said, “I told the court that I had been talking to the prosecuting attorney and we agreed to set a date for the status check. I have completed my independent investigation and will be prepared to present it to the court.” Schonfeld would not disclose what was found in his investigation of the incident.
Daniel Schuman alleges that on October 19th Griffin attacked him while in the Tao nightclub at the Venetian resort. Schuman told police that after he took a photo of a group of Clippers players, Griffin took his cellphone and grabbed him.
Griffin did not appear in court and has not commented on the assault charge. If convicted, Griffin could serve up to a six-month jail sentence. Schonfeld has represented many high profile clients, including Bruno Mars, Paris Hilton, and some members of the Hells Angels motorcycle gang.
Clippers Coach Doc Rivers has told reporters that he trusts Griffin “100%.” He said, “I love Blake, support Blake and this will work out.”
Working with a Defense Attorney
If you have been accused of an assault, you’ll want to contact an assault defense attorney that can perform a thorough investigation of the incident. After the investigation has been performed the defense attorney will put together a defense strategy.
Source: LA Times, Clippers’ Blake Griffin gets January court date on assault charge, December 8, 2014