What Happens When Your Child Is Arrested?

January 7, 2015
What Happens When Your Child Is Arrested?

You assume your son is playing with some friends. And then you get a call – from the police – saying your child has been arrested. What should you do next?

Child Arrested

Juvenile crime is just like any other crime, except the person committing the crime is under the age of 18. If your child is involved in a juvenile crime, it means he or she is being accused of committing a crime.

The police can do the following if they arrest your child:

  • Record the arrest and let your child go home.
  • Send your child to an agency that provides shelter, care for, or counseling for your child.
  • Take your child back to the police station. This is called being “cited back.”
  • Issue a Notice to Appear for you and your child.
  • Put your child in detention, also known as juvenile hall. The child is allowed to make at least two phone calls within an hour of being arrested. One call must be to either a parent, guardian, relative, or boss. The other call must be to a lawyer.
  • A police officer must also tell the child about his or her legal rights. The child will be read his or her “Miranda rights,” which are:
    • Your child has the right to remain silent.
    • Anything your child says will be used against him or her in court.
    • Your child has the right to a lawyer. If you or your child cannot pay for one, the court will appoint one.

Juvenile Crime Defense Attorney

If your child is arrested, police need to notify you immediately to inform you where your child is and what rights he or she has. Depending on the child’s age, the seriousness of the crime, and if your child has a previous record, your child may face probation, placement in a foster home, or a sentence at the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.  If your child has been charged with committed a juvenile crime, you should immediately contact a lawyer.


The Law Office of Peter Berlin – Los Angeles Criminal Defense Attorney
16130 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 570, Los Angeles, CA 91436
(310) 289-5418
(310) 289-5418

Tagged on: